It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:24 am
Unanswered posts | Active topics

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Thoughts and feelings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: dj_shecky
AOL: shecky919
These are my own thoughts and ramblings and are not official statements for Management of The Cape.

City of Heroes and The Cape have been a large part of my life for the last 7 years. I was a fan of the station before I was a DJ, and I played the game for months before I found The Cape. We as a community have always strived to be inclusive of everyone, to give everyone a chance here, and that has been important.

Since the announcement of the shutdown of City of Heroes, I have seen our numbers reach highs that we hadn't seen in years. I've also watched the fight leave people. Our listener count slowly drop. The talk of what is going to happen slow, the chatter in Cape Global slowly disappear (at least when I've been in game), and a community that I love slowly seem to disband to some extent. It is true not everyone likes everyone else, and in a community such as ours, cliques have formed over the years, with others left on the outside, looking in. This though is a time to break those barriers, to take a step outside of our comfort zone and realize that everyone is going through this. Some have chosen to leave already, some will stay until the bitter end, and hopeful a lot of you will rise from the ashes of City of Heroes with us here at The Cape.

Yes, it sounds like I've given up on City of Heroes being saved. Sounds and reality are two things though. I still hope that it can be saved, but as we have reached a month out from the original announcement, I have seen the amount of people actively working to save CoH slow. I have watched as NCSoft has done some things to mitigate their exposure to us. I have also come to the realization that there is a culture gap between the Korean run NCSoft and our culture in the "Western" world (which includes Austraila and Europe). The cultural differences can be shown much easier by taking a look at Japanese Culture and Anime. The superhero genre is not as big a deal in Asia. they have different types of heroes, and focus on the more fantastical ideas which are evident in games such as Guild Wars 2. For that matter, world society as a whole has a huge fascination with Fantasy. Genres like Superheroes, Cyberpunk and Steampunk seem to wax and wane with the times, but Fantasy is always there. The cultural differences between Asia where they do not understand our culture is a big reason why something like CoH is so easy for them to dismiss. With the majority of their overall dollars coming from games that are bigger in Asia, it is easy for them to dismiss those pesky westerners and their wishes also. It is unfortunate, and there is going to be hope until the servers are shut down at the end of the day on November 30, but it is also time to start looking to the future.

I see trying times ahead as The Cape moves to a new home, and I am as much in the dark as all of you about where that is going to be at this point I"m not part of the group dealing with the survey. Some people won't like the choice no matter where we go. Please remember to treat each other with the same respect that we always have though. As for me, I'm not going anywhere yet. I've seen the Station Wars, I've been through slow times, I've seen us reach tremendous heights, and I put my faith in the community. No matter what happens, or how we might have to rebrand a bit for a new game, we will always be The Cape and will always have your back. Whether you are able to be in the game(s) that we move to or not, keep us part of your life. Post in these forums, and feel free to tune in.

DJ Shecky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:23 am 

WLM: casualgoth@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: nephthyset@yahoo.com
I haven't given up. My technology, however, seems to have. So I'm still in the good fight, even if I'm quiet about it with limited fighting capacity.

Nothing like fighting in the trenches while everyone else is zooming overhead in tanks and planes. So everyone that still can fight on the fron, should keep it up and not lose hope.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
2 posts • Page 1 of 1