Facebook: Angelkins
Twitter: Kryssieness
Movie Title: Avatar: An IMAX Experience
Date Seen: January 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Length: 2:40
Number of Kisses: 2

Plot Summary: See the following: Pocahontas, Dances With Wolves, and Fern Gully

Comments: I wanted to love this movie. I wanted to adore and enjoy the movie very much. But, sadly, it really sucked. The plot was linear and had more holes than a Pennsylvania highway (though, I think California's starting to catch up on that one) and the acting was mediocre at best. I really did not like how the military was portrayed, again, and thought the title was a bit of a misnomer.

If someone tries to convince you to see this in IMAX-3D, just don't. The movie was not recorded in that format and it's painfully (literally) obvious. Coming from a place that was sorta the testing grounds for IMAX movies, I was inundated with what is good IMAX and what is a movie trying to be something it isn't. AVATAR falls into the last category. Only about a third of the movie is even in 3-D and it's poorly done, at that.

I would love to say something positive about the movie, but really, all I walked away with was a migraine and a wasted 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onjeleekah & Dhegso | Minecraft: Kryssieness
Twitter: @Kryssieness | Facebook: Angelkins | Skype: crymson_fate | YIM: fair_hero | Steam: Angelcakes
dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:22 am 

Amen. Amen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:26 am 
Station Manager

WLM: halfelven_rogue@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fair_hero
AOL: Miss+Dralyn
Movie Title: Edge of Darkness
Date Seen: February 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Length: 1:48
Number of Kisses: 4

Plot Summary: Daughter of a Boston Police Officer is killed and there is a huge cover-up (Subtext: Government Conspiracy)

Comments: This movie wasn't that bad. It was well-acted despite the plot holes and poor script writing. It was predictable, but still interesting. I wouldn't personally label it a Suspence/Thriller because of the predictability, but it's a very good "police drama."

Pros: Casting was amazing. From the smallest part to the lead characters, it was very well cast and each actor brought something interesting to the character that gave it depth.

Locations were very good as well as lighting and most of the effects. Sadly, there were no explosions, just a lot gunfire. And F-bombs....which leads me to the negatives....

Cons: There was a lot of unnecessary cursing. In some places, it added to the character and seemed natural, given the situations. In others, it was more contrived and unbelievable--cursing for cursing's sake.

The main character was a well-respected detective....and he didn't even ask about the fact his daughter was bleeding from the nose or vomiting blood before she was shot when he talked to the coroner.

There were some things that you really had to infer from the movie, as well, that could have been so much more easily explained with a better effect.

I loved the ending. I really and truly did. If you're a literary person, when you see it, you'll understand.

{SPOILER}

VERY Earnest Hemmingway. The bad guys don't want to do die/aren't ready to die, and do and the good guys die, but are very okay with it. I loved how they staged the Cravens walking out of the hospital. What I didn't like was the lack of activity from the hospital staff when he coded. But, that's just me being nit-picky.

Twitter: @Kryssieness | Facebook: Angelkins | Skype: crymson_fate | YIM: fair_hero | Steam: Angelcakes
dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 am 

WLM: Dragon320@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: AncalagonM
I have to agree, I don't know what it was about the movie but it actual made me a bit dizzy and I had difficulty focusing on some parts of the movie and I wasn't watching it in 3D. It was a Ok movie but I dont think it lives up to the hype, but to each their own,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:37 am 
Station Manager

Movie Title: Sherlock Holmes[
Date Seen: January 2010
Length: 2:14
Number of Kisses: 5

Plot Summary: Read a Conan Doyle book. You'll get it. If I tell you, it'll ruin the movie. :-)

Comments: What can I say? Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law in the same movie. The chemistry was perfect--and when I say perfect, I mean there was just enough uncomfortable tension that made the characters work well.

Pros: I loved the slow/stop scenes where Holmes went through everything--including the results of certain actions. I wished there had been a few more.

Everything that he did was based on keen observation and science. As intuitive as Holmes is, you'd believe he was psychic--and Watson's fiance thought he was, which was the point.

Cons: Some of the scenes seemed disjointed and unnecessary--but, it was Downey, Jr, so I didn't mind at all.

All in all, the ending was done in such a way that there will be sequals. This is one movie I wouldn't mind having 13 of, as long as the stories remain compelling.

dA | Patreon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm 

DJ Angel wrote:
Coming from a place that was sorta the testing grounds for IMAX movies, I was inundated with what is good IMAX and what is a movie trying to be something it isn't.

Where was that? I saw my first IMAX movie up in B.C. before any were even built in California and they'd had theirs for a while.

Maelthra: srsly
Mizythra: What does the king do? Anything?
Maelthra: Is no king
Mizythra: Well, when there is one.
Maelthra: Same thing, but hopefully with less dogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:32 pm 
Station Manager

Harrisburg, PA. It was in 2000 when IMAX was still fairly new. At least, they told us we were the test group for the movies. We had to preview some god-awful ones, too....migraine central for me.

dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: matt5150m
Can't wait till Angel gives a review of ....

A-Team

STO Steel
Facebook
Twitter
Request page http://www.djsteelonline.com/requests

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 pm 

DJ Angel wrote:
Harrisburg, PA. It was in 2000 when IMAX was still fairly new. At least, they told us we were the test group for the movies. We had to preview some god-awful ones, too....migraine central for me.

1999 here, up in Victoria where Vangelus lives. Doesn't surprise me though. The US sees a lot of stuff last XD

Maelthra: srsly
Mizythra: What does the king do? Anything?
Maelthra: Is no king
Mizythra: Well, when there is one.
Maelthra: Same thing, but hopefully with less dogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:17 am 

I remember seeing 'The Fires of Kuwait' on the IMAX screen at the Wright-Pat Museum in Dayton, Ohio. I'm not sure exactly what year it was, but the movie came out in 1992, and it was before hubby and I moved to Bucyrus, which was in late 1994.

Mitaku Oyasin http://www.native-languages.org

Link to a link to my Virtueverse crap: http://www.virtueverse.net/wiki/User:Tarosvan

Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. ~Gene Fowler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:28 am 
Station Manager

Movie Title: How to Tame Your Dragon
Date Seen: April 2010
MPAA Rating: G
Length:
Number of Kisses: 4

Plot Summary: "It's okay to be different--you just have to convince everyone else of it!"

Comments: We saw this movie in 3-D. Which is to say... Crypto saw it in 3-D. I saw it in motion sick. Still, this was waaaaay better than Avatar 3-D--I saw the effects and they were subtle--like they were meant to be. Some of the action scenes made me a little woosey, but it wasn't bad. Not migraine inducing. Yay!

"Toothless," the name of the main dragon, looked exactly like my cat, Midnight...minus the fur. The facial expressions, the slightly crossed eyes, the attitude--I was watching my cat fly. It was surreal.

But, since it was my boy I was watching, I was very emotionally invested in the movie and worse than some of the kids watching it with us. I was actually in tears when {spoiler} the dragon almost drowned. {/spoiler} WAY too emotionally invested Angel.

The voices of the kids in the movie were not "well knowns" (to me, anyway), but the boy had EXCELLENT comedic timing. One of my favorite lines was "Thanks for nothing. You useless reptile." You'll have to see it to get the full breadth of humor. The dragon animation was awesome and rather realistic. The fire was awesome and some of the other visuals were great--especially on the ropes on the viking ships.

It's very slow in parts, but it's still worth watching. It has the same "feel good and embrace your differences" feel that a lot of kid movies have, but it really is well done. It's not all in your face, either. It's neat to watch the progression of things--especially when the girl tries to get to the root of why the boy didn't kill the dragon in the first place. That made me tear up a bit.

And yes, when I got home, I cuddled my "Toothless." :-)

dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:24 am 
Cape DJ

the Pacific Science center in Seattle had their 2 imax screens built in 1979. I watched a lot of science movies there as a kid. I think they're still one of a dozen or so places with 2 screens.

On the must see list: Dragon, Sherlock holmes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 am 
Station Manager

DJ Steel wrote:
Can't wait till Angel gives a review of ....

A-Team

You wanted it....so, here it is. :-)

Movie Title: The A-Team
Date Seen: June 2010
Length: 1:57
Number of Kisses: 4.5

Plot Summary: In 2010 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground...If you have a problem--and you can find them--maybe you can hire the A-Team."

Comments: I want to start by saying that I adored the A-Team when I was growing up. In order of favorites: Murdock, B.A., Face, and Hannibal. And I really only liked Face cuz he was cute. Mr. T as B.A. gave him a "cuddlyness" that I never thought could be duplicated. And Murdock? I thought Murdock was just full of awesomesauce and win.

So, when they announced they were re-making the A-Team, I was excited to see who they were going to get to recast the group. Bradley Cooper as Face was a very pleasant choice. He was just as annoying as Dirk Benedict and whole lot cuter. Lovely eyes.

Liam Neeson as Hannibal Smith? Total. Win. I actually found myself liking that character. Peppard was good, don't get me wrong. But, as someone said to me on vent the other day, "The only thing Peppard did better than Neeson was smoke the cigar." Neeson's Hannibal actually got in and did stuff. He also looked like a Ranger--unlike Peppard who looked like he'd retired from the military about 30 years prior.

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson as B.A.? I never thought I'd ever see someone pull off the tough-guy mixed with the teddy bear as well as Mr. T, but Jackson made me wanna reach out and just snuggle him at certain points during the movie. That was an awesome plus to me. Though, I will say that he was missing the jewelry...but, he's so totally awesome you don't notice til much later. There were also times during the movie that he sounded exactly like Mr. T.

...and finally...

Sharlto Copley as 'Howling Mad' Murdock? buh-RILLIANT! There were times when he all but matched Dwight Schultz. His ability to pull off different roles actually beat out (for me) Face's ability to do so. Which is why I always liked Murdock better--he was brilliant and everyone totally underestimated him. Much like the actor who currently portrays the character. Copley has a relatively small resume--only four feature films to his name--but two of those feature films have done amazingly well. If you don't know him as Murdock from the A-Team, perhaps you'll recognize him as Wikus from District-9.

Now! On to the film!

There was a lot of "Yeah, right," moments. A lot of them involving helicopters and a DC-9 (I think...could have been a "small" C-130). But, there were also a lot of really good explosions. And the phrase "Alpha Mike Foxtrot" will probably make me giggle for many days to come (though, still not as good as Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, which you may find yourself uttering at some of the helicopter scenes). Is it worth seeing on the big screen? Let me break it down for girls and guys alike.

Guys: You will want to see this on the big screen. Why? JESSICA BIEL and NATALIE JAMES. Plus lots and lots of explosions and some great one-liners from the entire crew. Even the bad guys (well, badder guys) have some good lines.

Girls: You will want to see this on the big screen. Why? BRADLEY COOPER in nothing but a pair of gym shorts; his eyes enlarged to 50'; and BRIAN BLOOM's eyes, enlarged to 50' (or however big your movie theatre screen is). There's some plot in there, too, if you're more interested in that sort of thing. Oh, and explosions.

I gave the movie 4.5 Kisses, simply because there was a lot of "Wow...so totally NOT possible" that I found myself wondering what it could have been if they'd done things that didn't defy certain laws of physics. It's still totally awesome and I really hope they make another....four or five.

dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:51 pm 
Cape DJ

DJ Steel Likes this /em thumbsup

STO Steel
Facebook
Twitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm 
Cape DJ

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8NUBVcit5VM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8NUBVcit5VM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's based off of a graphic novel, filled with a ton of retro gaming references (ie the Street Fighter ref in the trailer.) The next movie by Edgar Wright, the guy who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Looks interesting.

Also going to be a video game info here

STO Steel
Facebook
Twitter

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
20 posts 1  2