PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:14 pm 
Station Manager

WLM: halfelven_rogue@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fair_hero
AOL: Miss+Dralyn
Facebook: Angelkins
Twitter: Kryssieness
We thought so, too. It is on "The List."

....as is Prince Caspian & the Voyage of the Dawntreader (December 2010)

and The Sorcerer's Apprentice (July 2010)

...and the Deathly Hollows (haven't caught the release date yet)

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onjeleekah & Dhegso | Minecraft: Kryssieness
Twitter: @Kryssieness | Facebook: Angelkins | Skype: crymson_fate | YIM: fair_hero | Steam: Angelcakes
dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:13 pm 

DJ Angel wrote:

...and the Deathly Hollows (haven't caught the release date yet)

Actually Part 1 is coming out November 2010 (Yay!) and Part 2 is coming out July 2011.

[Team]Vorn.: *stabs SP*
[Team]Super Uber Gal: That's a great idea! Team Freezepop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 am 
Station Manager

Twofer... we have discovered Redbox at our grocery store right next door....

Movie Title: Kick-Ass
Date Seen: August 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Length: Way too long...
Number of Kisses: 1

Plot Summary: <beckons> It's okay, li'l guy....lemme see...I think you were trying to say to take a stand for what you believe in....and get some neat tights.

Comments: Really, there's not much I can say about this. I watched it. I kept hoping it would get interesting. I kept hoping there would be a point. I even kept hoping for some solid character development. I was disappointed. Very disappointed. All it ended up being was gratuitous gore and language. So, if it was trying to be shocking, it accomplished it. If it was trying to be witty, it failed. If it was trying to appeal to people...there really weren't any redeeming qualities about anyone. There were some nice concepts that seemed to have gotten lost somewhere in the editing room....either at the writing stage or the pre-production stage or the post-production stage. I can only imagine/hope/pray the comic is better.

Movie Title: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief
Date Seen: August 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Length: 118 minutes
Number of Kisses: 4

Plot Summary: A teen-aged boy discovers he's a demi-god (son of Poseidon) and takes on the challenge of ending an eternal feud.

Comments: I know this is based on a book. This movie grabbed me within the first three minutes. It was exciting and well-acted, plus well-written and directed (which, isn't necessarily a given with Chris Columbus). There were some amazing names in the cast, though, I can only imagine (and maybe hope) the relatively small roles will be reprized in future movies. Sean Bean as Zeus was pretty eye candy; and Rosario Dawson as Persephone was beautiful--and they gave her some awesome lines.

Now, into the (more)subjective portions. Lemme start by saying that I love Greek mythology and have actually made a family tree of the gods. Whereas it has been some time, I still remember certain things--such as the fact that Medusa was already dead. It was the one thing that Perseus (the main character's name sake) did. I understand the symbolism, but...I dunno. I found that part to be a bit...cloogy. Another part I found a bit cloogy was the fact that Hades had three dogs...not a single three-headed dog.

The action was great; the characters were fun and well-developed. There were some plot holes and some continuity issues (which had work-arounds, but really, just plan a bit better), but over all, it was a killer movie and had some really neat effects when it came to actually getting to Olympus. Though, I wonder how people traveled anywhere before elevators and phone booths...

It's a great movie and I highly recommend it. Personal commentary that could be controversial follows. Read at your own risk. I found a good deal of the movie to be allegorical. The fact that Zeus (as the Ubergod) did not want the others to spend so much time with their demi-god offspring because they were turning human, aligns with the fact that Christ had 33 years of being on this earth. Poseidon explained to Percy that he had to be visually absent, but was always with him, no matter where he was. I could be wrong, but it gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling and made me stop and give a prayer of thanks.

Twitter: @Kryssieness | Facebook: Angelkins | Skype: crymson_fate | YIM: fair_hero | Steam: Angelcakes
dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:30 pm 
Station Manager

Movie Title: Alice in Wonderland
Date Seen: September 2010
MPAA Rating: PG (mostly for the smoking caterpillar)
Length: 108 minutes
Number of Kisses: 5

Plot Summary: Alice returns to Wonderland, years later, and finds her old friends and gets some answers to a lot of life's questions and conundrums.

Comments: Through much of the beginning of the movie, all I could think of was Tim Burton's Secret Formula for making movies. Once I got past that, I was able to enjoy the cinematography and the storyline. I thought the way he handled the story was awesome and the choices for characters was very well done.

Anne Hathaway as the White Queen was wonderful. I think my favorite line from her was "This tree looks hurt, have you been speaking to it? ... perhaps more gently." Helena Bonham-Carter as the Red Queen was wonderful, and in true Burton-style...had no real point to the choice of having her as a charicature. I don't recall the idea of the Red Queen having a ginormous head and, certainly, when she walks around Disneyland, she's a very LARGE woman (as in tall). Still, they made it work and it was fun to watch that character go through several changes.

Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter--I'll assume the constant switching of accents was to show the Hatter was mad. Again, not something I recall from other movies or even the book, but it worked, mostly.

I thought Burton's take on the story was innovative. Never did it say "This is how Carroll had written it!" Instead, it said, "Here's his idea...let's make it into something with a good value to it." Perhaps taken from his own life: Don't let others tell you who you are and what you'll do. It's a fun flick with a solidly presented message that doesn't even need to be veiled to figure it out.

Finding Neverland is still my favorite Johnny Depp movie; this one, however, is a pretty good second.

dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 am 
Station Manager

Movie Title: Transformers: Rise of the Fallen
Date Seen: September 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Length: 150 minutes
Number of Kisses: 2.5

Plot Summary: I'm still trying to figure it out....

Comments: Oscar. Mike. Golf. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?! I don't like Michael Bay for a variety of reasons stemming from actually working on his The Island set. But this?! Just wow. I was good with the first one. I liked the idea of having a second one... But, wow. Contrived doesn't even begin to cover it. I gave it 2.5 kisses mostly due to Bumblebee because he's just awesome.

"The Twins" were annoying.

Opti was, somehow, just not as awesome as the first one.

The old-timer kept changing accents and was very confusing. VERY confusing.

The relationship between Megan Fox & Shia LeBouf was also annoying AND confusing. The bit with his mom at college was .... pointless? It was just all around poorly written. There were some gaping holes, as well... I assume everyone else has seen this movie, but if not, SPOILER ALERT!!!

1. What happened to the other 3 primes? There were 7; one went rogue (The Fallen); three sacrificed themselves. Presumably, Opti was the fifth....and the sixth and seventh were...... transported? Transmutated? Decommissioned?

2. Why was the annoying guy from the Pentagon (Mr. I Have Presidential Orders) able to contact the military (which uses satellites that the Decepticons took out) and the rest of the military couldn't? Was he a Decipeticon??

3. When did species-shifting become something the Decepticons could do?!

4. How in Bixby's Nine HELLS was Shia LeBouf (a human) the descendant of an Autobot Prime?! Did they learn species-shifting along the way, too?!

I could go on, but I'd have to re-watch the movie and write down the other questions and I just don't want to do that. So, yeah... The good part of it was the battle at the end...and even that lacked something. At least....it was better than Kick-Ass.

dA | Patreon

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
20 posts   1  2