Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:24 pm 
Station Manager

WLM: halfelven_rogue@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fair_hero
AOL: Miss+Dralyn
Facebook: Angelkins
Twitter: Kryssieness
For those that follow me on Twitter, I put out a tweet this morning regarding speaking this evening for a Toastmasters group. The speech is titled (for now) "Roll Save vs. Boredom" and is about, generally speaking, gaming and how it relates to corporate America.

As I don't believe in manuscripts for speeches, here's the intro, outline, and conclusion for the speech (as it stands at 9:02am, PST):

Recently, I was asked by a group of uninformed what an MMORPG was. After explaining it, I watched the reactions of the folks. Most of them had a similar reaction, “She’s one of those people?!” And, I also noticed that I would introduce myself in that same manner. “Hi, I’m Kryssie and I play MMORPG’s. Yeah, I’m one of those people.” The more I thought about it, the more I thought…how sad. How sad that I have allowed myself to fall into the societal trap of being labeled a social outcast! Why is it that I cannot stand in front of a group of business professionals and, during a particularly boring meeting, say, “Excuse me, I think we all need to roll save vs. boredom, here”? I’d like to take a moment, this evening, and explain to you exactly who ‘people like me’ are, what we do, and how that helps us in the daily grind.

I. What Makes a “Gamer”?
A. Qualities of Gamers
-Creativity
-Intelligent
-Goal-Oriented
B. Types of Players
-Male/Female
-Adult/Teen
-Married/Single

As you can see, gamers can come from all walks of life. So, what is it that gamers do?

II. Types of Games
A. Board Games/Console Games
B. Table Top RPG’s
-Brief Overview
-Stigma
C. MMO’s/FPS's
-Stigma
-Stereotypes

Gamers, quite frankly, play games and come from all walks of life. Why would someone do this? Just for fun? Or…is there more?

III. Benefits of Gaming
A. Skills
-Budgeting
-Problem Solving
-Team Building
-Leadership
-Tolerance
-Attention to Detail
-Social/Cultural Acceptance
-Creativity
-Planning/Execution
B. Benefits
-Well-Rounded Leaders
-Productive Team Members
-Cause/Effect
-Bridging Generation Gap
-Family Time

We’ve seen the benefits of gaming, different kinds of games, and who gamers are. We talked about stigmas and stereotypes. From all of this, we can start to change the perception of a gamer from the geeky “computer nerd” who is socially inept into the image of a business professional and leader. The very person who plays your company’s CEO may be my game’s Paladin or Warrior—after all, it’s not very different. He’s the one guarding the company from outside attacks. He’s the one that takes the damage when the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune pelt the company’s name. The PR guy is nothing more than the Priest or Cleric who says some magic words and makes the damage disappear. Gaming isn’t just a hobby—it’s a tool to learn life skills. Don’t waste your life with non-engaging activities such as watching TV; enrich your life through games. As Shakespeare said, “The world is a stage and we are all actors on it.” I say, life’s a game—be in it to win.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onjeleekah & Dhegso | Minecraft: Kryssieness
Twitter: @Kryssieness | Facebook: Angelkins | Skype: crymson_fate | YIM: fair_hero | Steam: Angelcakes
dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:54 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: djonehitwonder
AOL: OneHitWonder+CoH
I hope you can get a recording of it! I may have to tuck this outline away for inspiration on some future school paper. Exploring the "CEO is a Paladin" concept could be pretty fun for one of my business classes.

"Some princesses are not content to sit around, waiting to be saved. Some go out looking for trouble. Others drag trouble kicking and screaming down massive towers while painting sparkles and hearts on the walls."

Rewondered - Badly Drawn Designs - Twitter - Facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:21 pm 
Station Manager

WLM: halfelven_rogue@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fair_hero
AOL: Miss+Dralyn
Facebook: Angelkins
Twitter: Kryssieness
I have a t-shirt that says "A Paladin is a CEO with a God-Complex," and I'm working on one for PR reps as Clerics. Maybe something like "Clerics are the life of the party; PR folks are the life of the business." It's still in development.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onjeleekah & Dhegso | Minecraft: Kryssieness
Twitter: @Kryssieness | Facebook: Angelkins | Skype: crymson_fate | YIM: fair_hero | Steam: Angelcakes
dA | Patreon

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
3 posts • Page 1 of 1