Unanswered posts | Active topics

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:08 pm 
Cape DJ

WLM: cyrissia@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: cyrissia
AOL: Kenbo Live
Theme: “Break the Crypto.”

Contest: Reply to this thread with your suggestion for the orneriest, most brain-breaking show that can think of. I pick the toughest one that I think I can do and announce the winning suggestion on my next show.

Time limit: Submissions must be received by 8:00pm on Saturday August 25th. I need time to put the show together after all.

Oh! One more thing. The person with the winning suggestion gets to choose the venue as well.

Go!

P.S. This is open to the staff as well.

P.P.S. If your suggestion is totally awesome and either doesn't make the cut or will take longer to put together than time will allow I reserve the right to use it at a future show. Credit will be given if I do, of course.

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 am 
Cape DJ

This concept I'm calling the Anchor Leg show, because you're not just guessing the set themes, you're guessing the last song of the set too!

Let's use an example where you have a six song set, as follows, with the theme "primary and secondary colors."

UB40 - Red Red Wine
Eiffel 65 - I'm Blue
Donovan - Mellow Yellow
Kermit the Frog - It's Not Easy Being Green
R.E.M. - Orange Crush
Etta James - Purple Rain

The common links between songs in the set together comprise a finite set of items. In addition to the usual guess-the-set-theme game, the idea is to determine the common links between songs, figure out the theme, deduce the last link in the series, then guess which SONG will represent that link. (As you can see in the above example, I chose a cover - the ARTIST is irrelevant here, it's the SONG that's important.) Shoutouts go to the first to guess the theme, as usual, but also to anyone that guesses the last song before it starts.

This style of show can also be done as an overall show theme as well. Each set theme likewise comprises a finite set of items, and as above the object is to guess not only the overall theme, but the theme of the last set before it starts. It's up to the listener to keep track of each song, determine the theme for each set (which remains unannounced til the end of the show), then put the pieces together and guess the overall theme and the theme for the last set, completing the series.

In addition, should you wish to do so, you can do the per-theme shoutouts as well in the overall show version.

Roots of Rock: Thursdays 7-10 pm ET || Mischief Management (with DJ Amethyst): Saturdays 8-11 pm ET
IRC: DJ_Nexus || Gaming Avatars || Facebook/Twitter/Steam/Yahoo: gyronnygeek || Google/Email: gyronnygeek@gmail.com

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
2 posts • Page 1 of 1