Tissues might be needed

STO Steel
Facebook
Twitter
Request page http://www.djsteelonline.com/requests

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: sultry_siren77
When I was a small child, there was a teddy bear of a man at our church. His name was Bob King.

Bob and his wife Lori had 8 kids. The oldest two were often our babysitters, the youngest girls were my age and my closest playmates. Bob and my dad were good friends as were my mom and Lori. We never went a whole week without seeing them somewhere.

After Mass every Sunday, I knew I could run up to Bob and he would pick me waaaaay up in the air and he would swing me around in a full circle, just like his own girls. It sounds silly that I loved it so much, but my own father had been in a massive car accident that nearly killed him before I was born and with his neck injuries, it was something physically impossible for him to do. To this day, it is one of my fondest childhood memories.

When I was eight, I ran up to Bob after Mass like always, but I skidded to a stop about ten feet away just overwhelmed by a heavy sadness and I started to cry. I had no idea why I was so upset, and I think my mother was embarrassed about it, but I just knew something was terribly wrong.

Bob hugged me and said not to worry about it and we all went home.

Monday morning at around 6am, Lori called. Bob was on his way to work when he was broadsided by a drunk and died instantly. The woman was twice over the legal limit (at 6am!!) and she had run a red light and was going so fast, there was little left of his car. My mother went to their house and waited with their children while Lori had to go identify Bob. The funeral had to be closed casket. It was that bad.

Because of the laws at the time, I believe the drunk woman only received 2 years in jail.

Two years does not even begin to make a down payment on the grief that one person's poor choices made for eight children, their mother and all of the King's extended family and friends.

In my book, there is absolutely no excuse for not calling a cab. Period. Retrieving a car from a parking lot is a whole lot less inconvenient than destroying a family.

Please, please, don't drink and drive and don't allow your friends to do so either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:38 pm 
Cape DJ

His name was Marc Prudeau, and he was in my Boy Scout troop.

I was 12, and Marc was moving from Raleigh, North Carolina to Norfolk, Virginia, due to a pending divorce. He'd said his goodbyes to his friends at his last troop meeting. He was out with his mom at 12:30 pm on the last Saturday he was in town, rushing around to make last minute arrangements.

They never saw the truck. They both died instantly, Marc and his mom, and left a bitter future ex-husband to deal with funeral arrangements for his wife and son.

The man that ran the light to hit them was well over the legal limit, though how much exactly is lost to time. It was his first offense. He served 90 days in jail and had his license revoked for five years.

Imagine that. Two lives were snuffed out, and the killer had every revoked privilege reinstated by the time Marc would have gotten out of his teens.

It's the reason that I never drank and drove while I was still able to drink, and it's also the reason Psychotical carries the name that he does - Nat Prudeau.

Call a cab. Appoint a designated driver. Take a bus. Walk home. Crawl if you have to. Just don't drink and drive. Just don't.

Roots of Rock: Thursdays 7-10 pm ET || Mischief Management (with DJ Amethyst): Saturdays 8-11 pm ET
IRC: DJ_Nexus || Gaming Avatars || Facebook/Twitter/Steam/Yahoo: gyronnygeek || Google/Email: gyronnygeek@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:40 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: matt5150m
There is more to the story....

watch this link below

UPDATE: Dad's Message About Not Drinking and Driving

STO Steel
Facebook
Twitter
Request page http://www.djsteelonline.com/requests

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
4 posts • Page 1 of 1