YOU ARE HERE: Board index » The Cape Radio: Current Staff » DJ Valor

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 am
Unanswered posts | Active topics

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
  1  2  3   
 Post subject: Random Recipes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:44 pm 
Cape DJ

I have been asked from time to time what I'm eating. I figured I'd post a few of the more interesting recipes here so I don't have to try and figure out how to fit them into the chat scroll.

Last edited by DJ Valor on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:50 pm 
Cape DJ

1/2 lb butter
1/8 lb Brie or other strongly flavored cheese
1/2 lb cream cheese
1/4 t white pepper

Melt the butter. Cut up the cheese and stir it into the butter over low
heat. You will probably want to use a whisk to blend the two together and
keep the sauce from separating (which it is very much inclined to do). When
you have a uniform, creamy sauce you are done. You may serve it over
asparagus or other vegetables, or over toast; if you want to brown the top,
put it under the broiling unit in your stove for a minute or so. It's also quite good with shallots or garlic minced in, whatever strong flavor you like.

I usually serve this by grabbing a loaf of sourdough bread and tearing it into chunks to dip. I've seen people pour it over sliced fruit and I've seen people dip chips in it.
No matter how you eat it, it's really really tasty and very bad for you.

Post subject: Slow Cooked Pork Loins
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 pm 
Cape DJ

Slow Cooked Pork Loins

1 or 2 mid sized pork loins, depending on the size of your crockpot.
1/2 of a white onion
1 large apple or two smaller ones
4 cloves of Garlic
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon Fenugreek seed
2 Tablespoons of Peppercorns
1 Tablespoon dried Rosemary

Slice the apple[s] and onion into large flat slices and cover the bottom of the crock pot with them. Stab your pork loins with a fork a few times and put those on top of the apple and onion. Add a pinch of salt over both lions if you are so inclined. Chop the garlic up fine and put that on top of the meat.
Put all the herbs in a mortar and pound them really well, ground to a powder is best if you can. If you haven't got a mortar and pestle you can just bruise the hard little herbs by smacking them a few times with a hammer or large book. Be careful of your counters. Put the herbs on top of the pork loin.
Pour in the wine and water, set your crock pot on low, and walk away. Once or twice during the day, come back and stir everything if you can, just to mix the flavors. It can cook for 8 hours without a problem, but I like it better around 6 hours.
Slice it into rounds and serve on a bed of rice or egg noodles. I'm still experimenting with a cream or port based sauce to go with it so let me know if you have a good one.

[/b]

Post subject: Heart Attack In A Cup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:07 pm 
Cape DJ

Heart Attack In A Cup

In 1 large cup, place 4 shots of highly caffeinated expresso (not normal expresso grounds, but something more of a slap-in-the-face brew ground from beans to expresso), then add chocolate syrup (the kind you make hot chocolate from) - enough to have made one cup of hot chocolate in the cup you use, then add a nice slap-in-the-face-and-kick-you-out-of-bed-and-into-a-cold-shower-with-a-few-more-slaps-to-the-face kind of coffee until your cup is full. Add sugar to taste. (Do not add milk it counters the caffeine). This is a bowl of that Mediterranean sun, without the Mediterranean frills. (Do not give this to Hyperactive people)

Post subject: Sausage and Beer!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:17 pm 
Cape DJ

Sausage and Beer!

1 package of beerbrats
1 onion ( I like red, but you can use any you have)
2-3 Spaten (or a similar lager beer)
1 package of kaiser rolls

I know this seems really obvious, but if no one had told me how to do it I would have missed out.
Chop your onion up fine and put it in a large disposable roasting pan. Add the brats after stabbing each once with a fork. Cover with beer and put in the fridge for a few hours. Overnight is best if you can get it.
Pull the brats out of the fridge and put the whole pan on a warm grill. Let them stew to a boil. Take each brat out of the pan and sear it on the grill for happy GBD (Golden, Brown, and Delicious).
Split and butter your kaiser rolls and toast them to crunchy in your oven. Keep an eye on them as they toast fast. Usually one roll will do for two brats.
Serve with the stewed onions, sauerkraut, or just a nice spicy brown mustard on the side.

Post subject: Skittles Vodka
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
Cape DJ

Skittles Vodka!

Ok, I did not make this recipe up but here is the tutorial I use when I do it.
http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/

One 1.75 liter bottle of vodka (I used Stoli – you don’t need the most expensive vodka, but do avoid the cheap ones)
Five 8.5 ounce flasks or bottles
One 1 pound bag of Skittles
Five empty plastic water bottles
A funnel
Bowls for separating the Skittles into flavors
A measuring cup
Coffee filters or paper towels

You’ll also want to cover your workspace with newspaper or freezer paper – this infusion can get messy. If you’re making a different sized batch, here’s the formula you need to know: I used 60 Skittles to 6 ounces of vodka, which yields about 8 ounces of infused vodka. If you want to make 1.5 times that, or 3 times that, just multiply your amounts.

Start by simply separating the Skittles into flavors. You want 60 of each.Fill your water bottles with 6 ounces of vodka each. It doesn’t need to be exact – you can always even it out later by pouring in a bit more vodka to the ones that come out with less.

Pour the Skittles of one flavor into one infusion bottle, then pour the next flavor of Skittles into the next infusion bottle, and so on until all five bottles have a pile of Skittles soaking in the vodka.

Now your infusion bottles all have Skittles in the bottom. Give each bottle a good shake – the more, the better. In my picture here, you can see that the colored candy coating has already rubbed off into the vodka, but the white insides of the Skittles still have a lot of dissolving to do. After shaking them, set them aside for a few hours. It’s a good idea to shake them again then, especially if you’re making a bigger batch. My Skittles all dissolved overnight.

Once they’re all dissolved, you’ll notice a lot of white muck floating at the top. We’ll take care of this in Step 6.
There are a number of ways to strain this stuff and get all the white gunk out. Some people prefer paper towels, but I used coffee filters and found they worked just as well. I put a funnel inside a measuring cup.
then I put four coffee filters in the funnel.

It’s hard to say exactly how many you’ll need, since not all coffee filters are exactly the same. I’ll tell you one thing I did learn, though: orange and green needed more filtration than the others. I discovered this when I thought I was finished, and found a little bit of white stuff still floating in those two flavors. No problem, though: I just strained them again through one more coffee filter, and that took care of it. So if you find you haven’t strained it thoroughly enough, the good news is: you can always fix that later.
Then I poured one of the infusions into my strainer setup. I had to pour about a quarter of my infusion in, then wait for some of it to soak through, then pour another quarter in, until I was done. (If the strainer clogs with white gunk, use a spoon to scrape the white gunk out of the way.) In the end, you’ll have about 8 ounces of Skittle infused vodka.Then I took the liquid from the measuring cup and poured it into a flask, via the now-clean funnel.

Now you’ve got 5 flasks or bottles of Skittles infused vodka.Stick them in the freezer for several hours – overnight is fabulous.
Now, these are pretty strong on their own – nearly pure vodka. They are also very sweet. You can drink them straight, served up in a chilled martini glass, or you can use them in a cocktail:

Mix them with ginger ale, 7-up or Sprite to taste
Mix them with cola to taste (diet cola cuts the sweetness a little)
Serve them on the rocks to water it down a little
Some people mix them with fruit juice. I didn’t try this, because to me the Skittles were plenty of sweetness for my taste buds.
Everyone’s taste varies – there are so many directions you can take this drink in, you really should try anything that sounds good to you!

Post subject: Moorish Chicken
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:39 pm 
Cape DJ

Moorish Chicken
4 lbs chicken
2 T lard (or shortening if you *must* doesn't taste so good)
5 strips bacon (3 1/2 oz)
1/3 c green coriander
1 t parsley
1/2 T mint
1/2 t salt
10 oz onion
2 1/2 c water
2 T vinegar
1/4 t cloves
8 threads saffron
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t ginger
4 egg yolks
6 slices bread (toasted)

Dismember chicken (thighs, legs, wings in two pieces, etc.), slice onion, wash and coarsely chop parsley, mint, and coriander. Melt fat, fry bacon a couple of minutes, put chicken, herbs, salt, and onion into pot and fry uncovered about 10 minutes, cover and cook covered another 20 minutes. Add water, vinegar, additional spices, bring to a boil and cook 45 minutes. Toast bread, arrange toast in bowl. Break egg yolks, stir them in and remove pot from heat, and pour into bowl with toast.

Note that this is a 15th-century Portuguese idea of an Islamic dish: a real Islamic dish would not have the bacon!

Post subject: Pears In Syrup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:45 pm 
Cape DJ

Pears in Syrup

3 -4 pears, sliced
3 cups red wine
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. ginger
2 Tbs. vinegar
few threads saffron (if you can find it)

Boil pears until they just become tender; drain well. In a separate pot, bring wine and cinnamon to a boil, stirring well. Let cool, then strain. Bring wine back to a boil, then add the sugar, ginger, saffron, and vinegar, stirring until spices are dissolved. Add pears, and allow to cook for several minutes until they soften slightly and change color. Remove from heat. Serve hot or cold. I really like to make these around Christmas time fro some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm 
Cape DJ

Mom's Black and White Bean Salad

One 16 oz can of black beans
One 16 oz can of cannellini beans
1 bunch of green onions or a small onion
1 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
1 Tablespoon of white vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons of cilantro or Italian parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Drain your beans, chop your onion up fine, put the whole thing in a bowl and toss it. Personally, I like the flavor better after it sits in the fridge overnight, but you can serve it right then.

Post subject: Audette's Skewers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 pm 
Cape DJ

Audette's Skewers

1lb of meat, either chicken or beef. I like the chicken better.
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 Tablespoons of white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of coriander
One package of kebab skewers

Cut your meat into kebab size chunks.
Mix the oil, vinegar and spices together and heat it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Let it cool and pour it over the meat.
I like to have the meat in a big plastic zip-lock bag so I can make sure it's totally covered by the marinade.
Put your meat bag in the fridge over night. if you're using wooden kebab skewers, put them to soak in a dish of water at about the same time. It prevents them from burning on the grill.
The next day, skewer your meat and grill it until it's done. Let it sit until cool or you will burn your fingers.

Post subject: Mint Lemonade
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 pm 
Cape DJ

Mint Lemonade

This is one of my favorite summer drinks. This recipe is child-safe but you can always add chilled vodka or a dark rum to it for the grown-ups.

3 lemons, plus extra juice to taste if needed
1 orange
8 oz of honey
2 oz of freshly chopped mint (normally one of those bunches from the store)
2 oz of freshly chopped lemon balm
10 fl oz of boiling water
4 pints of cold water

Peel the rinds off the lemons and orange, making sure to remove the bitter white pith. Set the peel to the side while you squeeze out the juice.
In a large heat-proof jug or bowl, combine the peel, honey and chopped herbs. Pour on the boiling water and stir until the honey is blended in well. Allow to steep for 30 minutes.
Add the lemon and orange juice and pour the whole thing into a larger clean pitcher or jug. Add the cold water. Taste it and see if it needs any more juice or honey, then put it in the fridge for at least an hour.

Post subject: Brandy Slushies
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm 
Cape DJ

Brandy Slushies!

These little darlings were first served to me at a birthday party for Richard Garriott. I immediately sat on the bartender until I got the recipe. Make sure you have lots of room in your freezer.

2 cups strong black tea
1-2 cups sugar
2 cups brandy (it can be the cheap stuff, no one will care)
1 large can frozen orange juice
1 large can frozen lemonade
5 cups of water

Blend the whole thing and pour into a flat casserole type dish. I like the disposable roasting pans. Freeze them for a week or so. It will take awhile for the alcohol to set up.
Scrape the top of the frozen slush into a glass and mix it 50/50 with Sprite or 7-up. Or, sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar and eat it out of an ice cream dish.

Post subject: Glow Plug's Pumpkin Soup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 pm 
Cape DJ

Glow Plug's Pumpkin Soup

Don't knock it until you've tried it. It is a scary shade of orange, but it's really tasty and filling.

3 cans Pumpkin puree (make sure it's just the puree, not pie filling)
1 tube Sage Breakfast Sausage
3 cups Chicken broth
1 pint Heavy Cream
1/2 - 1 Chopped Onion (I like more, some folks like less)
2 cups Cheddar Cheese
Pumpkin Pie Seasoning ( just a pinch)
1 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
Garlic ( I use about a tablespoon of it, but you should start with less)
Salt to taste

I brown the sausage, drain it, then add the rest of the ingredients
and blend it with a hand blender until no lumps of sausage remain.
Heat the whole thing up on a stove, stirring constantly. The pumpkin will form air pockets as it heats and if you don't stir it, it may explode. Yes, I do have pumpkin on my ceiling.
That's about it. Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:13 am 
Station Manager

WLM: halfelven_rogue@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fair_hero
AOL: Miss+Dralyn
Facebook: Angelkins
Twitter: Kryssieness
Caught in Agent Crypto's Sweet Potato Chips

Crinkle cut sweet potatoes on the mandolin, coat with olive oil and lime juice, sprinkle with garlic powder and kosher salt. Bake at 400°F flipping once. Use an insulated cookie sheet and watch them closely after you flip them.

(( And if anyone's looking for a mandoline, I happen to sell them for about $60, plus tax & shipping....and the mandolines I sell are rather high-quality ))

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onjeleekah & Dhegso | Minecraft: Kryssieness
Twitter: @Kryssieness | Facebook: Angelkins | Skype: crymson_fate | YIM: fair_hero | Steam: Angelcakes
dA | Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:07 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: matt5150m
Happy Cinco de Mayo....

How to Make a Mexican Flag

Carefully layer ingredients into a highball glass (using a spoon), in the order given; grenadine, creme de menthe, tequila.

Mexican Flag Ingredients
1 oz Tequila
1 oz Creme de Menthe
1 oz Grenadine

STO Steel
Facebook
Twitter
Request page http://www.djsteelonline.com/requests

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
38 posts 1  2  3