Now Playing: Listeners:
YOU ARE HERE: Board index » The Cape Radio: Current Staff » DJ Nexus

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:34 am
Unanswered posts | Active topics

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Recipes!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 am 
Cape DJ

Here's a spot for me to put my favorite recipes, and for you do to the same, and for us to talk about the results.

Roots of Rock: Thursdays 7-10 pm ET || Mischief Management (with DJ Amethyst): Saturdays 8-11 pm ET
IRC: DJ_Nexus || Gaming Avatars || Facebook/Twitter/Steam/Yahoo: gyronnygeek || Google/Email: gyronnygeek@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: Recipes!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 am 
Cape DJ

Chicken with Stuffing

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic soup
1 can Campbells's Cream of Celery soup
1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
2 6-ounce boxes chicken stuffing
1 small to medium yellow or white onion
3-4 ribs celery
6 ounces fresh mushrooms
1 stick butter
2-1/2 cups water

1. Either line a crockpot with a plastic crockpot liner or coat it with PAM or some other similar non-stick coating.

2. Rinse the chicken breasts and place them in the bottom of the crockpot.

3. Mix the soups together well in a mixing bowl - DO NOT ADD WATER - and then spread the mixture evenly over the chicken, creating a somewhat thin layer of soup.

4. Mince the onion, celery, and mushrooms, and combine them with the two boxes of stuffing in a large mixing bowl. Mix the dry ingredients together well. Melt the butter. Add that and the water to the stoffing and mix well, making sure all components of the stuffing are wet. Add this to the crockpot in a thick layer over the soup.

5. Cover the crockpot, turn on LOW for 4 hours, and serve.

Roots of Rock: Thursdays 7-10 pm ET || Mischief Management (with DJ Amethyst): Saturdays 8-11 pm ET
IRC: DJ_Nexus || Gaming Avatars || Facebook/Twitter/Steam/Yahoo: gyronnygeek || Google/Email: gyronnygeek@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: thechellenator
AOL: thechellenator
Orange-Dijon Green Beans
Makes 2 servings.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp unsalted butter (or, if you're me, garlic-infused olive oil)
1/2 of a large onion, very thinly sliced (or the whole thing, if you like onions, which I do)
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or leave these out, like I do)
8 oz fresh green beans, trimmed & cut in half (crosswise, not lengthwise)

All of these quantities can and should be adjusted for individual tastes.

Directions:

1. Parboil the green beans. This means boiling a pot of water, dumping the green beans in, and cooking them for about 5-7 minutes. Then you strain the green beans out and dump them in a large bowl full of cold water and ice cubes, to stop them from cooking further until you're ready for them again later.
2. In a small prep bowl, whisk together the orange juice, mustard, brown sugar, ginger, salt, and pepper.
3. In a non-stick skillet or frying pan, heat the butter/oil. Add the onions and pecans, and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the onions are soft.
4. Turn the heat down to medium and add the beans. Pour the orange-dijon sauce over the top. Use tongs or a fork to toss the beans and ensure they're coated thoroughly in the saucy onions. (Oh la la la! Saucy onions!)
5. Continue cooking until the sauce is thick and the beans are the way you like 'em. If your sauce dries up too quickly (if you like your beans very very cooked, for instance), add 2 tbsp water, thoroughly toss the beans again, and continue. Repeat as many times as necessary.
6. Remove from heat. Plate and serve with meat of your choice. (Or, if you're me, dump it all into one bowl, grab a fork, and eat it all by itself for dinner while watching a movie. NOM.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: thechellenator
AOL: thechellenator
Chelle's Mind-Blowingly Delicious Lamb & Apricot Stew
And she is only sharing this with you because she likes you.

Ingredients:

3 lbs lamb (chopped small)
1/2 cup wine
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 cup butter (or 1 stick)
as much garlic as you want (I do a heaping spoon of pre-diced)
onions (I like pearls, but whatever works)
carrots (sliced into medallions)
potatoes (chopped to bite-size)
barley (pre-prepped, see directions)
4 cups of stock (beef, chicken, veggie, whatever)
1/3 cup honey
2 cups dried apricots (quartered)
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup lemon juice

Directions:

1. The night before, take 1 cup barley and boil it in hot water as if it were pasta. After it boils for several minutes (to activate the cooking), take the pot off the stove, cover it (without straining it!), stir it every so often to keep the barley from sticking to the bottom, and then let it sit overnight to absorb all the water in the pot. If you can't do this step well in advance, just don't use barley at all; it won't have time to cook properly if you do it at the same time as the rest of the stew.
2. The next day, chop the lamb and stick it in a ziploc bag/container with the wine and the spices. If you want to leave out the wine, just rub the lamb with the spices and add a squirt of lemon juice to tenderize it instead. Leave it for a few hours. (If you don't have time for this, just skip the marinating step and don't use any wine. Throw everything in together later. Marinade makes it nicer, but won't ruin anything if you don't do it.)
3. Get a great big non-stick stew pot. Toss in the butter and the onions and the garlic and sautee them until the onions are softish. Add the meat and all the marinade. (If you skipped the marinade, just dump in the spices now. No wine, though, because it won't have time to cook off properly.) Brown the meat in this mixture. It will smell amazing. You are nevertheless not allowed to eat it yet.
4. Throw in everything else except the lemon. Simmer it until it turns into stew, adding another cup of stock if necessary. Make sure to stir it often enough that nothing sticks to the bottom and burns or the whole thing will taste like burning. (I did that once because my mother -- who is a notorious talker, ignores all attempts to say you have to get off the phone, and will even call you back if you resort to hanging up on her -- called me and distracted me for ten minutes. It made me really pissy, because then I didn't get to have any damn stew.)
5. Add the lemon at the end, stir a bit more, and serve.
6. Bask in the adoration of those lucky enough to eat the meal you made for them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:06 am 

I tend to look up a lot of recipes online, so because I'd rather not plagerize (and am somewhat lazy :p) I'm just going to post the links.

http://www.gretchenspantry.com/recipe/c ... epper.aspx
http://www.gretchenspantry.com/recipe/p ... inger.aspx
http://www.gretchenspantry.com/recipe/p ... epper.aspx
http://www.gretchenspantry.com/recipe/s ... icken.aspx
http://www.gretchenspantry.com/recipe/sweet-pork.aspx
http://www.gretchenspantry.com/recipe/t ... -pork.aspx
http://www.gretchenspantry.com/recipe/v ... -rice.aspx

YOINK! "That whooshing sound you hear is me rushing to hijack that phrase for my sig line. Oh, hey look. :D " ~ DJ Nexus

'What is best in life?' 'To AoE your enemies, see them rooted before you, and hear the lamentations of the griefers.' ~ Nachtkat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:49 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: wyldturtle
Here is a link on how to make your own creme eggs (think Cadbury). Gotta love Instructables.com :D

Champions Online: DJ Amethyst
Neverwinter: Aeryn de Sagyere

YIM: wyldturtle
e-mail: wyldturtle@gmail.com

Don't ask the questions you don't want the answers to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:17 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: cavernstones1965
Microwave Mushroom-Clam Chowdah extreme
you will need
1 can cream of mushroom and/or
1 can new england clam chowder

2 packages-Ramen noodle (the flavor doesn't matter, save the blend season for another time)
5 squares of saltine crackers (crushed)
2 oz shredder cheddar cheese

boil noodles in water (recommend to break each package in 4 sections)for 6 minutes, stir, drain, return to container
stir in mushrooms/clam chowder
top with crackers and cheese
cook in microwave until cheese melts

serves 2-4

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
7 posts • Page 1 of 1