Get Connected:
Now Playing: Listeners:
YOU ARE HERE: Board index » The Cape Radio: We've Got Your Back » The Cape Lounge

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 am
Unanswered topics | Active topics

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
    1  2  3   
 Post subject: Re: My Best CoX Memory
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 am 

Two Words: DERP PARADE.

[color=orange]Can You WIN the Internet?[/color] Arc #85544
[color=blue]Inhuman Resources - At Work with IE[/color] #298132
[color=red]Task Force Mutternacht[/color] #349522 <-- Aeon Challenge Arc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: djonehitwonder
AOL: OneHitWonder+CoH
Every single TF:Fabulous I've ever done (though those memories are rather hazy :P)

Every single New Year's Eve Marathon (though again, those memories are rather hazy :P)

Doing surprise shows for Shecky and Logos for their birthdays, and their shock that I had gone around behind their back and collected dedications from the listeners to them. Surprising everyone by doing a show as Lyrick. Hmmm, I should plan more surprises, they're fun!

Coming back to the game in 2006 after a year away and finding out that The Cape still existed. I joined the global channel, and I think the minute that Templar saw me there he pounced and asked me when I was coming back to DJ.

Dancing with Ascendant at an early Cape show. This was either before or soon after I became a DJ, so he was already famous and I totally was not. Then years later, getting to meet him in person. And teasing him that he was nervous about meeting me because it took about three invites before he actually showed up. :P

Getting my first 50, One Hit Wonder, on a Double XP weekend that coincided with my birthday. Then going out for karaoke and getting to meet Attercap in person. Seriously awesome birthday, thanks Shecky!

Doing /e holdtorch at the Motley Crue concert with Detra when they played "Home Sweet Home"

Facing my fears and going to a concert all by myself. Couldn't have gotten through it without the help of my friends I met through CoX and their IMs, phone calls, and text messages throughout the day.

"Some princesses are not content to sit around, waiting to be saved. Some go out looking for trouble. Others drag trouble kicking and screaming down massive towers while painting sparkles and hearts on the walls."

Rewondered - Badly Drawn Designs - Twitter - Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm 
Cape DJ

Facebook: josh.diemert
I've had a lot of fun times in City of Heroes, but this little bit sticks out most in my mind.

I was on the prototype for Annie Mayhem, an illusion wielding catgirl running around Atlas Park, when I got flattened by a group of Hellions. Respawning in the hospital, I let out a frustrated 'Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!' in Broadcast. I got a few responses, including 'Well, you've mastered the first letter of the alphabet, care to try the rest?', but what I remember most is a 'Captain Boyscout' (actual name, I kid you not), threatening to report me for 'misuse of Broadcast' or something like that.

Me: But I was just having a little fun!

CB: But it's against the rules!

Me: It's against the rules to have fun?

Didn't hear from him at all after that.

Of course, I'll never forget the day Shecky motioned for a small, timid mousegirl to join the cluster of listeners at one of his shows in the D, and how both my life, and Nezumi's changed after that... But that's another story.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:31 pm 
Cape DJ

Lots and lots, but after last night, one for certain is the first Digital Wastelands, from the 'how are you doing that?' comments about Cybrid and I's stream switching to the end of the night, after the show, where it really truly felt like when you are the last ones in the club, when the house lights come up and the crowd is gone but there is that lingering energy in the air. It was amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:35 pm 

This is a tough one... especially as thanks to all of you guys, I have so many to choose from. These are the ones that come readily to mind, however:

Before even playing: trying to pick out a character name! XD When I started over four years ago, "Vagabond X" was something that I settled on after trying several other names that were rejected by the creator, such as "Hobo Man" and "Nomad." Eventually I thought to add an "X" on the end and finally got into game... only to find a few days later that homeless and begger themeded characters were popular that year. So hurray for originality.

There are fond memories of all the time I sunk into the Character Creator over the years. Besides creating new character concepts, I loved mixing and matching pieces from one of the most versitle CCs to ever to exist in the MMO community, allowing me to create toons that felt truly unique and personalized. My rather chronic case of Altitus eventually spawned 46+ toons on Virtue, most of which I actually *used* until the big announcement. There are a lot of level 20s and 30s in my character bank here...

I enjoyed all the roleplaying, and one of my few real regrets is that I never did more of it during my stay on Virtue, largely due to a lack of time and energy. Quite often, I was happiest in game when just hanging out with friends and letting our characters play off each other. Running around with Angel and Crypto's super-twin characters, watching my techo-mage Ko panic as mobs swarmed the team, having Rembrandt almost let slip his status as a vampire then cover it up with "I'm an artist, I'm supposed to be eccentric," and so many other instances... All the relationships between characters, all the little dramas that we got to play out... it hurts to think that a large chunk of that might be going away now.

All the time (which was sadly little) I spent with the Kindred Nocturnis SG, who encouraged me to reroll an old vampire character despite not being a huge fan of the vampires in general. It was and is one of the more active and amusing RP groups I've had the privlege to be a part of, and has forced me to recognize that "dark and brooding" was not the only viable character choice for the genre. It has also exposed me to some of the expansive World of Darkness lore, which has been quite interesting in and of itself.

In recent memory, the time I made DJ Anarchy giggle-fit on air, through the ENTIRE length of her talk break, due to the "Fat Larry" tribute toon I rolled. That may have been one of my crowning achievements as a listener of the station. Also, the joke was inspired by one of DJ Phantasm's costumes... which looked almost exactly like a certain cab driver from VtM: Bloodlines ( http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/Imag ... -_taxi.jpg ). Strangely enough I was the first KN member to notice the similarly, in large part because I had played the game recently. Pointing out the resemblane provoked a short lived "OMG" reaction from the rest of the SG though, which was memorable in and of itself.

And finally, CapeCon 2012, which I never would have gone to if not for City of Heroes! It's hard to sum up exactly what it meant for me to show up to that... The short version is that I'm an introspective shut-in; I don't tend to go out anywhere, for anything, and my social life is largely non-existant due to my awkwardness in said social situations. So when I'm willing to drive a few hundred miles to meet up with a group of people I met online, go to a bar with them, and perform (terrible XD) kareoke in front of an entire crowd, I feel it speaks volumes about what all of you have come to mean to me over the years.

So thank you all, for everything.

YOINK! "That whooshing sound you hear is me rushing to hijack that phrase for my sig line. Oh, hey look. :D " ~ DJ Nexus

'What is best in life?' 'To AoE your enemies, see them rooted before you, and hear the lamentations of the griefers.' ~ Nachtkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:42 pm 

*sees Wondie mention Fab TFs*

Oh yes. Also, that one time I teamed with Wyld and other Capesters during one of the Fab TF drinking games... I was lucky to be doing the non-alcoholic version, as I wound up with both a Fire/Fire/Fire blaster and a Dark Armor scrapper on my team. I easily polished off more than half a gallon of Snapple in the space of an hour or two... I thought my bladder was going to explode. XD

YOINK! "That whooshing sound you hear is me rushing to hijack that phrase for my sig line. Oh, hey look. :D " ~ DJ Nexus

'What is best in life?' 'To AoE your enemies, see them rooted before you, and hear the lamentations of the griefers.' ~ Nachtkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: AncalagonM
Vag don't forget you've also been immortalized like the rest of us with the group KN shot at Cape Con 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:44 pm 

Because there are so many moments I remember well, too many to list... and because this is such an emotionally charged day, this will be difficult.

I have memories involving each of you that will never go away, in game and out. A short list, though, in no particular order:

1. New Year's Eve, 2007. I had been in game for a week and this was when I discovered the Cape. Wondie was doing her usual marathon show and I happened by all the action in the chalet, stood there and watched... and eventually tuned in to the stream. Wasn't much of a roleplayer, didn't say a word... but I've been hooked ever since. Hearing the readings from "Lost Christmas Eve" and sitting at my desk as Cyclos played Patrick Stewart's "Christmas Carol" recording on successive years, drinking hot chocolate and spending time with friends... this has always made my favourite season better.

2. February 2008, SORE. Muse was on air. Given that SORE is supposed to be about the bad endings of love relationships, and that she had lost friends in the recent shootings at Northern Illinois, she hijacked the theme. "Time is too short not to let people know you love them, this is going to be about love instead" (paraphrased). Powerful. I cried for hours, and you know, she's right. Time IS too short.

3. June 2008. Meeting and greeting the folks I had gotten to know through channel, the first time. We'd been making arrangements to meet up at the airport, and though I had a photo on the CapeFaces thread, how would they know who I was? "Here's my gate and my landing time, you'll know." ... I was wearing a t-shirt from UC Berkeley and there was no question who I was with the big golden "CAL" across my chest. As soon as I got into the public part of the terminal, I was grabbed and hugged on (Shecky and Moggie were there) ... they knew me, as I had promised, but I had no idea who the hell THEY were. :) Many associated memories followed. Angel and the cleavage penguin, Posty "Hulk SMASHing" everything courtesy of duct tape and pelvic thrusts... Wondie never ever wearing pants... Crypto's fabulously functional intestines... OKOCIM!!! ... lots of beer. LOTS of beer. A whole room of strangers staring at one another and no one saying a word for two minutes, then suddenly acting like we knew one another forever. The Booze Fairy. ... Successive meet-and-greets have their own memories but that was the first and it would never have happened if not for the kindness and openness of everyone involved. What is now called "Capecon" is the highlight of any given year for me.

4. The Giza. This is where Cal finally spoke his first few words, sometime in March 2008. If it weren't for the weekend shows there, he may never have found his voice, but he grew and developed and let me express myself in ways I could never have imagined. He led to a succession of characters that were all, in some part, me... I had a character for each and every mood but outside of Cal, my all time favourite was Incredibubble/Rigil Kentaurus/the blue kid. He kept me in touch with my child's side, the big-eyed wonder and hope and desire to explore things and be essentially kind and goodhearted, and he is probably the character I'll miss the most. I'd like to thank Peri, Trem, and Mits for helping him grow into what he has, as well as anyone who ever took a chance on smiling at a stranger in a strange land. Will never forget the "Tomorrow Knights".

5. TF: Fab. Enough said. Right after LGTF first came out, and while the sidekicking range was still in force, you could fit a level 35 into a level 45-50 TF. Our Angerdog was such a 35, and my level 50 responsibility to keep alive. Leading in to an alpha strike with my tier 9, which involves a teleport, often left the poor fellow 15 levels below con, and he died PLENTY. After a while, we were so drunk from the real rules of Fab that we degenerated into wisecracking and figuring out ways to get one another killed while sparkling and being fabulous. We did finish the tf... I think. I'm pretty sure we did. Didn't matter. It was fun.

6. 2xp. SLEEP DEPRIVATION. Driving three miles to buy Posty a cheeseburger because he asked for one on air and I was hungry and VERY tired. Got myself one too, came back to the house, searched for him for half an hour and ate his burger because he wasn't home. This was only one such occurrence, and I will miss the fun and wackiness of a bunch of sleep deprived geeks facerolling Rommy and everything else for the 9 billionth time. Big thanks to Rids, too, for being the awesome person she is and crushing the universe with one single brute.

7. Steel Canyon dropship run, sometime in 2009. There was the standard Rikti invasion and someone gathered us all together, gave us the location and the entire zone worked as hard as it could to bring down one of the dropships. Success, spectacular explosion, screenshots! No badge. :) I was sure glad I could fly, though.

I could go on, and on, and ON but I'm afraid I already have. Suffice to say, I have a memory dear to my heart involving each and every one of you, and if you ask me, I will share them.

Most important of all to me, is not the game but the friends and memories I have made in it. At the first meet and greet, I sang the tune featured in the below video at karaoke... maybe you're not a fan of country, but if you see fit, give it a listen. This sums up my whole experience.

I love you all, and owe all of you your beverage of choice. Wherever else we may go, I will see you again.

You may count on it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:34 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: djonehitwonder
AOL: OneHitWonder+CoH
Ah yes, I came downstairs that Sunday of the first M&G weekend, and Cal looks up at me and says "My god woman, don't you ever wear pants?" I think everyone in the room stared at me for a second, then busted up laughing. Thus began the "Wondie never wears pants" meme, as it were. I still prefer to wear skirts, but I live in New England, so pants are necessary sometimes. And I usually wear pajama pants around the house, but those aren't really pants. :P

And the Booze Fairy, that was totally Cal's fault. One of my favorite characters, an Ice/Invulnerability Tanker. I'll have to see if I can make her in CO.

One of my favorite things about the M&Gs/CapeCon is how we're all socially awkward, and those first few minutes are a little rough, but before long it's just like we're all dancing in the Pocket D together. So sad to miss 2012's (the only one I've missed so far) and really hope we can make it to 2013's.

"Some princesses are not content to sit around, waiting to be saved. Some go out looking for trouble. Others drag trouble kicking and screaming down massive towers while painting sparkles and hearts on the walls."

Rewondered - Badly Drawn Designs - Twitter - Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:07 pm 
Cape DJ

HeroCon. Holding our own little room party because the karaoke sucked, Shecky playing music, YJ and I serving Roxy Acetylenes to Mitsu, Mizythra, Siren, poor member of the Wentworth clan whose 21st birthday it was, Vangelus who recorded it, and many more, Arbiter Fabulous making Long Islands using the hotel bathroom sink as a cooler.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 pm 
Cape DJ

Another fun memory... making Angel break character and gigglefit through an entire talk break as DJ Fallen Angel. How? I got a copy of the Beastly Boys track "Squirrels", and she played it during her show.... and heard it for the first time at that moment. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm 
Cape DJ

Favorite CAPE memory? I was standing at the bar during CAPECon and Angel turns to Ascendant and says "want to dance?" Or something along those lines, and they both bust out in Dance 6 (the funky monkey). It really was a Pocket D right then.

Favorite: pre-CAPE memory? I was on a very low Moggie and I'd just figured out how to change zones. I was in Skyway City or Steel, creeping along scared of everything when the Shadow Shard invaded! I was one-shotted dead in the middle of the road. A group of higher level heros came flying in and drove the nasty eyeballs away and gave me a rez. Then I got a stern lecture on being safe as a "civilian". And that's when I discovered RP

Favorite RL memory: So many friends I have made in this game. Every time I get to meet one of one in the flesh and we see each other and wrap our minds around the physical presence of the human we usually have to type at. THAT is amazingly good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:33 am 

Yahoo Messenger: darianfirkin
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
Best memory: John Murdock taking the ring he'd just gotten from Stephanie Peebles and using it to propose to Sera with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm 

Best memory for me, hands down, is proposing to my wife in Pocket D. To the very end, we still had the base building salvage Rings in our inventories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 pm 

The Freedom Corps ad that mentioned the Paperwork Ninja was pretty awesome.

Yes, I'm the madman behind the 575 pounds of awesome that is Hephaestus 1. (He's not gone, as long as you keep him in your heart!) I'm not responsible for your nightmares or broken minds, though.

So long, Providence, Hello, Detroit.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
32 posts   1  2  3