Get Connected:
Now Playing: Listeners:
YOU ARE HERE: Board index » The Cape Radio: We've Got Your Back » The Cape Lounge

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 am
Unanswered topics | Active topics

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
  1  2  3   
 Post subject: My Best CoX Memory
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 am 

What's your favourite memory or moment?

I'm going to start with this, which, despite everything eles, still stands out for me:

On Triumph, my first server, in my first CoH toon (VTac), flying around The Hollows as a member of the Triumph Search And Rescue SG, sweeping down and helping lowbies who were in over their heads. This was long before The Hollows became a joke and long before The Cape.

For the most part players were grateful and would actually thank you. I miss that.

I was actually a founding member of TSAR.

Post subject: Re: My Best CoX Memory
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:11 pm 

one of my best memories (a little foggy, i'd been drinking) was at one of the Cape events by te monkey fight club. might have been the cape anniversary party. Avatea was hanging out with us when a griefer showed up. didnt take long before Avatea dropped him in the moneky cage and left him there. I think she may have turned him into a seagull too.... or that might have been another time...

also alot of good memories back from when i played on triumph server. I was a member of the Furioso Family. just happened to run into a group of them running missions in sharkhead when they had a team wipe just outside the door, so I rezzed them one at a time, and they invited me to the VG. Best SG/VG i'd ever been in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 pm 

Three words: Teleport Bungee Jumping!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 pm 

So many memories...

Back in the day (say, Issue 2 or so) my SG was working our way through the original Surviving Eight task forces. We could only play together one night a week, and we did it all in character, so each TF could easily last a month. On the final mission of the Synapse TF, one member DC'd and couldn't get back before we completed, meaning he did not get the badge. So I took my Storm/Dark defender, and he took his Electric/Electric blaster, and at lvl 20 we duoed the entire TF, including the AV (yes, you could do that back then). I spent the entire final fight O2 boosting him nonstop, be we made it, he earned the badge, and we were able to move forward as a SG. Eventually we did all those TFs in order and at the proper level range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 pm 

Impossible to break it down to just one moment.

If anything, the best CoX moment for me was the unveiling of the AE Architect system, and the whole world of RP opportunities that system opened up. There were so many epic moments of awesome that came out of the missions and storylines that were built in there. You might not have been able to experience MOAR WARHULK (a climatic ambush by dozens of Nemesis Warhulks [and only Warhulks] that wiped everyone out in a spectacular fashion), but it was awesome. The Footsteps Initiative's rallying cry of "I'll Show you My PUNCH!" will be a gag I thread into any conversation as much as possible. The AE Dark Astoria arcs were as chilling as anything I've ever read, seen or played.

But truly, I can't nail it down to any one thing. This game has infected so much of my life, and bled out through my RL life. I mean, my tabletop group knows who MANCRUSH is after all. The milliDetra will ever be the unit of mistells (and I will never suggest Detra is anything but a diamond-grade badass from those fights in Bloody Bay).

Maybe it's the time when I was in my car and heard "Double Vision" by Foreigner come on the radio, and fully expected to hear an ad for Double XP weekend.

No, just too many moments.

[color=orange]Can You WIN the Internet?[/color] Arc #85544
[color=blue]Inhuman Resources - At Work with IE[/color] #298132
[color=red]Task Force Mutternacht[/color] #349522 <-- Aeon Challenge Arc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 am 

I've pondered for a while just what memory was my best. In the end, I realized it was simple. Every time I logged in and you folks were there- each and every time that happened- those were my favorite memories.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 am 
Cape DJ

For me, it's a tossup between the time Coz & Quana glitter-nuked the Pocket D, and the time Quazmic walked in on Coz & Quana doing... well, YOU know... and took her mentally scarred self to Pocket D and Templar's show.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 am 

Knockout Avenger joining a Statesman TF and beating the crap out of Lord Recluse. Jen had been waiting for that time for ages to take on her most hated foe and it was so satisfying when we took him down (Not to mention the nuke I saved from Warburg)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 am 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: djonehitwonder
AOL: OneHitWonder+CoH
Way too many awesome memories. I'll probably revisit this thread every time I think of a new one.

First, let's start with Wondie and Posthaste's wedding. Half an hour before the ceremony, I'm in game directing people, telling them how we're going to do things... and the power goes out. Frantically, I call Posthaste to let him know what's going on, and he keeps me amused, telling me he's wandering around Pocket D asking random strangers "Have you seen my Wondie?" Shecky is on his phone with the power company trying to figure out what the problem is and when we can expect to have our power back. They tell him something like 4-6 hours. Gah! But the power is restored within an hour, so Wondie shows up to her wedding half an hour late. Ascendant did an awesome job as the officiant, but it's during the reception when Detra, as Psycho Ex-Girlfriend, shows up and accosts Ascendant. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing as the two of them went at it.

Then, let's fast forward to my own real life wedding. Everyone standing up there at the front with me and Logos, I either met through City of Heroes, or through Logos, who I would never have met if it hadn't been for City of Heroes and The Cape. My BFF, Tarby, as my Best Man, one of the few people who stood by me and stood up for me when I was going through my divorce in 2005 and everyone thought I was the devil. Detra, my fabulous Maid of Honor, who gave me a place to live when I would have otherwise ended up homeless, and is truly one of the best people on this planet. And of course Logos, who stole my heart and refuses to give it back, thank goodness! :D

"Some princesses are not content to sit around, waiting to be saved. Some go out looking for trouble. Others drag trouble kicking and screaming down massive towers while painting sparkles and hearts on the walls."

Rewondered - Badly Drawn Designs - Twitter - Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:18 am 

Heph's first Terra Volta run was great.

Heph: "So, why is our team leader standing there next to that skeevy looking guy?"

Other hero: "That's our contact, Heph."

Heph: "Oh. Okay."

Team Leader: "Got the mission, let's go. Follow me."

Heph: "What are we doing?"

Team Leader: "Follow me."

Heph: "Why?"

Team Leader: "I have the mission."

Heph: "What is it?"

Team Leader: (getting frustrated) "Follow me."

Heph: "That's kind of a weird mission. I mean, what if you lead us into the ladies' room? I can't go in there!"

Team Leader: "I won't lead us into the ladies' room."

Heph: "Then where are we going? What are we doing when we get there?"

Team Leader: "Follow me."

Heph: "This is really messing with my heroic motivation!"

Team Leader: "FINE. We're going to go into the reactor, beat up everyone in there from the Sky Raiders and save the day. HAPPY?"

Heph: "Yes, actually. I now know what we're doing SINCE YOU FAILED TO TELL US WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

That led to the first scene.

Heph: "It's cool, take your time getting back, guys." *Heph is swarmed by jumpbots with flamethrowers, all kinds of Sky Raiders and Sky Skiffs while the other seven teammates come back from the hospital. Ten minutes later, the first person with healing arrives and fires off a First Aid power... which gives Heph five HP back since he was taking almost no damage at the time.*

Then the second scene, which still unnerves some players to this day.

Team Leader: "The Raiders have breached our perimeter! Someone get to the reactor core and get rid of those Raiders!"

Heph: "On it!" *Heph runs into the core and uses Hand Clap, which knocks back and stuns every single Raider who was attacking the core.*

Heph: "Hey! Giving people The Clap really does make them avoid you! My old Health teacher was right!"

Team Leader: "...that is such a useless power! I can't believe you picked that!"

Heph: "What, have I given more men The Clap than you have now? Or do I still have a way to go?"

Team Leader: "...I hate you, Hephaestus 1."

Then there was asking random people in Pandora's Box what kind of nanotech mustache he should get: The Ditka 3000 or The Magnum Pi. Each had their own unique powers.

Yes, I'm the madman behind the 575 pounds of awesome that is Hephaestus 1. (He's not gone, as long as you keep him in your heart!) I'm not responsible for your nightmares or broken minds, though.

So long, Providence, Hello, Detroit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:00 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: djonehitwonder
AOL: OneHitWonder+CoH
Told you I'd be back with more...

For SORE one year, we auctioned off a break-up scene with Myme. I think it was one of Modern Myth's characters who won, and she comes in and goes on and on about his lack of communication while Myme is shrugging and gesturing... one of those "you really had to be there" moments, but it still makes me giggle.

Back in the early days of The Cape, Shinjuku and I used to run around late at night with a PUG. One night, we found a group with a great sense of humor and were having a lot of fun doing random RP and cracking jokes. Somehow it got decided that my character was his character's sister, so we were bickering like siblings. We were in Perez Park and I died, falling through a nearby building so only my legs were visible, sticking out from under the building. Shinjuku cries "Someone dropped a house on my sister!" and the whole group just can't stop laughing.

Then there was the time we decided to do a Positron TF live on The Cape at like 3am. I don't think our team knew that Shinjuku and I were broadcasting. Just imagine sitting in a room with two people while they do the early Posi in the middle of the night with a PUG. Yeah, it was like that.

I'll always remember when we first got the dance emote, and started a progressive rave, hopping from tram station to tram station. I think I still have screenshots.

Not long after that, Shinjuku decided to do a "Beat the DJ" contest to stay up as long as possible. This was before auto-AFK, so it was easy to just park your character and wander off, so we needed a way to ensure that people were actually there. We made it a dance-off, and I would randomly call out "Change Dances!" and type in "/e dance" then everyone had to match whatever dance I was doing. There was much cursing as this was before you could do dance1, dance2, etc. so you just had to keep typing "/e dance" until it changed to the right one. I think there were two or three people who managed to stay for the entire show before Shinjuku gave up and went to bed.

The hilarity of one of Shecky's typos and my smartass reply spawning a character. Poor Slef.

The generosity of an anonymous donor who gave me three time card codes, six months of play time, when I announced I needed to leave the game and The Cape for financial reasons.

The first Cape M&G, where Shecky and I had expected to just get a handful of local people together, and watching it grow each year and become CapeCon. Was very disappointed to miss it for the first time last year, but hoping Logos and I can make it out for 2013.

All the amazing people I've met through this game over the years. My life has done a complete 180 since I started playing this game, and I am so grateful to be where I am today, none of which would have happened if I had never logged in that first time.

"Some princesses are not content to sit around, waiting to be saved. Some go out looking for trouble. Others drag trouble kicking and screaming down massive towers while painting sparkles and hearts on the walls."

Rewondered - Badly Drawn Designs - Twitter - Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:38 pm 
Cape DJ

Yahoo Messenger: brspheonyx
I have several memorable moments, almost all centering on DJ Pheonyx:

- When DJ Pheonyx married DJ Inque (not an actual DJ, just their name), during the reception Back Alley Brawler (the dev) was challenged by two people to Arena PVP. BaBs did the sleep emote and one-shot dev-killed the two people. And that actually wound up on YouTube. So, a dev played impromptu security at the wedding. Dark Watcher was also in attendance. DJ Inque's player left game and IC they divorced.

- When Pheo married Firosa (Suja), there were several players thought long gone from the game who came back into game for the special day... a reminder of how special this community is.

- When I got Krimsin Hawk to 50 (my first 50), it was done with her SG mates in The Kaotix. That first uber-ding is always the most memorable.

- A comment by Vincent Morse at one of Demoryel's Giza shows in front of CyberImp Licorice which not only spawned her name for him, but a way that Licorice categorized people and referred to them, that comment spawning "MisterVincenttrouserssnakeses".

- HeroCon 2009: Was doing my show from there, trying to get interviews on-air. BaBs started to walk by and Suja convinced him to do an interview (it seems he was horribly shy at that time when it came to doing interviews); once he got started, he opened up and had fun with it.

- Through an RP conversation with Hephaestus-1, Emmy "Agent Munin" Andersen got her gig as Heph's partner on "Serv'd" for two seasons and the wild, wacky ride that jc's mind sent my timeshifted daughter of DJ Pheonyx from another dimension on.

- The Winter Gala I worked with Ms. Independence and White Knight while Krim was in The Kaotix, the Gala which The Cape got its highest listener count. That was an amazing event.

- One that falls under the "Wish you folks could have seen it" category: I was on Beta for the Super Pack 2 tests, and the new ATIOs were named from the AT inherent powers; I noticed that when you claimed them, unless you knew the names of the inherent AT power names, new players would not know which AT the enhancement would slot into. I was the only one who pointed that out on the beta forums, and Synapse actually replied in the thread stating it was an oversight and in the next patch the ATIOs were then marked with the AT name in parentheses before the title in the e-mail Character Items section. The first time that I actually suggested a fix in six plus years of Beta testing that I was the only one to think of (or first one to suggest) that got implemented... and it never saw the live servers :(

There are too many more to add here... just too many wonderful memories of this game, all of which I will take with me in my heart.

Ashes to ashes,
DJ Pheonyx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:21 am 

You know...seeing all of these has set my mind to wondering, causing it to go careening back over the last eight years, trying to decide, "What's my best COH/V memory"?

As others have said, I have entirely too many to list, and like Wondie, I may add more as time goes on.

I think...if I had to narrow it down to just one, just one, though, I could. Because without that one, I never would have gotten as into the game as I did. I never would have stayed in the game for eight years. And really, the origin of one of my greatest friendships can be traced back to this moment. And really, it contributed to other friendships being formed as well. Forgive me if I ramble on a bit.

See, when I got to this game, I was very green at RP. I'd played tabletop before, but alas, I was not wise in the ways of RP etiquette, and things did not work out. That and the fact that I had to go away to college. But I digress. As I said, I came to this game as an utter newbie, and I spent...goodness, it must've been weeks (I think) seeking out roleplayers. By happy coincidence, or serendipity, or whatever you want to call it, I had noticed in some comments on one of the webcomics I was reading at the time that Virtue was the unofficial RP server for CoH. This, as you might imagine, for a kid who was, at that point, kind of fixated on how awesome RP was as a creative outlet, the best news EVER. Alas, as I said, I spent weeks searching in...it was either September or October. I hooked up with some random people, joined an SG, let them know I was looking for RP, got introduced to someone who had been playing awhile, tried explaining what I was looking for (and in hindsight, realized that based on the person's reactions to my attempts at explaining RP, she might, in fact, have BEEN a roleplayer, but I digress) - and I had no luck. Then, one day, I got lucky.

Really, really lucky.

I heard about the Paragon Dance Party. I don't recall if I'd heard there were RPer's hanging out there, but as soon as I could, I went to Steel Canyon with my lowbie original experimental (I never intended him to be a main, I was just trying him out, and four years later, he was my first 50), Golden Age/evil Quaker (so I was later told)-looking toon, Doctor Void (Not to be confused with Dr. Wretched, my first villain and favorite creation). Unfortunately, by that point I was still a weak little lowbie, and attempting to cross Steel Canyon (I don't remember if I had hover then or not, but I was impatient) would, inevitably, lead to my character doing a fabulous faceplant. Of course, there were other doors, one in Talos Island, and one in Independence Port, but I was so low at that time, the idea went from a good chance of faceplanting to outright suicide faster than you can say "splat!". Also (and this may surprise you), I can be a REALLY shy guy, so I didn't want to ask some random person for help. Plus, at that time, I was so green I didn't even know anything about sidekicking, etc. (Understand - as green as I was at RP, I was even GREENER in the ways of the MMO. CoH was my first). As I recall.

But as I said, I got really, REALLY lucky.

I happened to look in Broadcast at that time, as I tried to figure out how to cross the zone, and I noticed somebody named Rua Bas offering teleports to the PDP door (which was on the other side of the zone). I immediately pounced on that offer, and the next thing I know, team invite, teleport teammate, a very earnest "Thank you!" from me to her, and I was in. Then, of course, came the hurdle of overcoming the IMMENSE butterflies doing the cha-cha in my stomach and actually, you know, talking to people, but that's a whole 'nother story (though I seem to recall the aforementioned Rua Bas also being one of the people who helped me crack my shell, so to speak, by talking to me).

So thanks for that, Muse. If it weren't for you, I don't think I'd be around here today. And all of the other great memories I have from CoX wouldn't have happened.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 pm 

Oh wow, these are terrific,and I loved reading every one of them :)

EDIT: Like Wondie, I have another one I'd like to add.

Again on Triumph, in a new toon I had created called Galaxy Girl, standing in one corner under Atlas and randomly reading people's bios. I clicked on one character standing on an opposite corner and liked her bio so much I sent a tell saying so. The character's name was Jesse Draco, half-dragon, and I chuckled the whole time while reading about her.

She sent a tell back, and we began chatting. Jesse Draco of course, was Ashe, who still plays a character on Virtue named Jesse who is still half-dragon. It was when we met, and we have been fast friends ever since.

I LOVE YOU ASHE!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 am 

Not the fondest memory but thing I am most proud of.

Master of the Imperious Task Force badge on my Empathy/Dark Defender prior to Going Rogue and the fixes made to make the 3rd and 4th missions far less laggy. Always wore that badge with pride on that toon.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
32 posts 1  2  3